13 departments of 45 departments which were established under the Faculty of Medicine, have gathered in the Department of Surgical Sciences. Surgical Sciences is a common name for medical fields that can diagnose if surgery necessary and can carry out operation when a surgery is needed for the patient receive their health back.
Within first two years, students acquire skills that they learn on models and simulated patients in an examination environment and then, main contribution of departments of the Surgical Sciences begins when students start to improve their skills in real examination environment with patients.
Departments within the Department of Surgical Sciences are as follows:
- Department of Anesthesiology and Reanimation
- Department of Cardiovascular Surgery
- Department of General Surgery
- Department of Medical Pathology
- Department of Neurosurgery
- Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Department of Ophthalmology
- Department of Orthopedics and Traumatology
- Department of Otorhinolaryngology
- Department of Pediatric Surgery
- Department of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery
- Department of Thoracic Surgery
- Department of Urology
With contribution of these departments, it is expected that students will learn procedures such as learning medical history of a patient, diagnosis and treatment and also will acquire skills relating medical procedures such as preparation of a patient for a surgery, operating a surgery and post operational wound and patient care in the core education curriculum. Moreover, students are provided with information regarding technologies and devices, medication and support equipment used in the surgical services and they learn how to use them. In this period, it is also important that students must learn what not to do as much as how to do.