Üsküdar University Language and Speech Therapy Research and Application Center (ÜSESKOM) was established in order to provide the necessary academic support for the implementation of practice courses in associate, undergraduate and graduate programs.
1. Basic and applied research and publication,
2. To provide application opportunities to undergraduate and graduate students who are / will be studying in this field,
3. To do activities for the benefit of society.
Scientific and social requirements of the establishment of the center:
Language and speech disorders; are situations which cause multifaceted social and economic losses for people, their families and societies. Despite this, the subject of language and speech disorders and therapies remained in the middle of the 20th century, when the single science understanding was dominant, and therefore was neglected. In terms of neurological sciences, voice, speech and language disorders are disorders that are under the shadow of the main symptoms such as paralysis and sensory disorders of the neurological diseases that cause these disorders and are not sufficiently recognized and studied. In order for speech and language therapy to emerge, hundreds of thousands of language and speech disorder patients had to emerge due to head injuries they suffered during WWII. When the social and occupational problems caused by these people, as they returned from the war, it changed into a huge problem for the governments, namely it was necessary to deal with this issue, as in many similar issues, and language and speech disorders centers were opened to deal with this problem. However, it is not possible to say that scientific and social needs have been met in the past 50-60 years. Currently, the number of centers working towards this goal in the world and in Turkey is very limited. ÜSESKOM is a center established by Üsküdar University by being aware of the individual and social needs, that have emerged in this regard.
The contributions the center activities can make to the university in particular and to the society in general are as follows:
1. To make advanced researches to develop new diagnosis and treatment practices in language and speech disorders and to contribute to the development of new approaches that can be used in the clinic,
2. To encourage researchers to carry out multidisciplinary studies. Coordinating by creating application-oriented research projects in partnership with basic sciences and clinical sciences, and using domestic and foreign support resources for this purpose,
3. Designing and analyzing advanced treatment modalities such as new techniques and application approaches that can be used in treatment, and then making prototypes suitable for clinical studies and ultimately performing clinical applications,
4. To contribute to national and international knowledge by organizing advanced specialist courses, seminars, workshops, symposiums and congresses on application issues,
5. To carry out joint studies with national and international public and private organizations, research groups and scientists to achieve these goals,
6. Providing cooperation and consultancy services in the field of health.
ÜSESKOM's clinical fields of activity include diagnosis, differential diagnosis and therapy studies in various types of voice, speech and language disorders. The academic and educator staff to be established in order to carry out these studies include neurologists, ENT specialists and audiologists, psychologists and special educators.
The center has many examples abroad and a very limited number of examples domestically. Working under Anadolu University, DİLKOM has been conducting successful studies for years. Therefore, one of the priority tasks of ÜSESKOM in the coming years is to develop and share theoretical and practical cooperation grounds with DİLKOM.