Music therapy is a major branch that uses music and music activities to meet the physical, psychological, social and mental needs of individuals.
Music is an effective and powerful means of communication in human life, not only in situations where the conditions of spirituality is troubled, but also when it is in a good state. Music speaks to the emotions and thoughts of people with its own language through its structure and narrative elements.
- Music is an easy and clear definition that allows people to express themselves in voices. The music has its own language, and for this reason it has a universal dimension and music is the only common language in the world. Listening to music evokes the aesthetic sensation of man and stimulates the rhythm intuition and awakens the strong emotions within. The excitement of living increases through music. Music relaxes, revives, calms people and enriches the feeling of humanity. People listening to music become happier and more compatible individuals in society. Many people are able to express themselves better with music and predicate their feelings with music. Therefore, it is also used for communication with music.
- Music stimulates centers of thought, learning, speech, and body control in the central nervous system and brain and supports developments in this area. In young people with depression, the brain is relaxing and plays a role in relieving hormonal imbalances. Depending on the style and shape of the music, there are effects of increasing or decreasing stress hormones.
- Music therapy is a specialization that uses music and music activities to meet the physical, psychological, social and mental needs of individuals.
In modern times, the first musical therapy practice was included in the treatment programs at the Michigan State Hospital in 1947. Since 1949, music therapy work has been done in France. After World War II, a music therapy institute was established in Stockholm, Sweden. In 1977, America accepted medical treatment as a scientific discipline. Music therapy has been used effectively in psychiatric diseases since the 1950s. Today, music therapies are being practiced in many clinics, research centers, art centers, hospitals, kindergartens and independent areas in America and other countries in the world. Today, music therapy is performed in Turkey, Europe and America. A lot of scientific research on music therapy has been done while music therapy was accepted by the US Music Therapy Association as a specialty in 1997. Therapy is currently being implemented in many health centers in Turkey, Europe and America.
Üsküdar University and NPİSTANBUL Brain Hospital, which is the first and only university on psychology-psychiatry in Turkey, is carrying out many studies on occupational therapy field. In this sense, our center aims to enrich the various methods used in contemporary medicine, psychology and psychiatry in therapy with music, and to carry out researches which contribute to education-teaching. In this context, after identifying the types of music that are appropriate for the socio-cultural structure of the patients and determining the brain mapping of the person with the brain electroscope (EEG), the frequency of the electrical rhythm of the brain is determined and the music is determined to bring this frequency to the normal limits. it will be observed that the religious motifs are also effective in the treatment, and in the next stage, the appropriate music will be applied to the patient. When choosing the appropriate music, it is planned to use millions of previously recorded works. It is aimed for Üsküdar University Music Therapy Application and Research Center to provide huge contribution to the psychology and psychiatry science.
FIELDS OF ACTIVITY:
It is used as a complementary method in clinical areas such as neurology, cardiology, oncology, psychiatry, and in the treatment of individuals with special needs. Also music therapy plays an important role in alcohol and substance addiction treatment.
- It has been determined that classical Turkish music and classical western music have a healing effect on diseases in the scientific researches made.
- Musical elements such as music therapy, rhythm, melody and harmony are used for therapeutic purposes. Music creates positive effects on the nervous and endocrine system of the patient, gives meaningful reactions to emotions and thoughts, plays an active role by making music in the process of patient therapy, develops skills, increases self-confidence and makes a meaningful effort.
- The term "music therapy" consists of the words "music" and "therapy". The word "therapy" is a medical field that teaches the measures and remedies for the care and treatment of patients and is rooted as well as adopted from Greek language.
- The music therapy enables the person to communicate,
- Increases the treatment effects,
- Psycho-prophylactic (psychopathic) influences and the use of movement, sound, and music to provide rehabilitation in the person, and in the community in which he or she is in need, is a subspecies of sound-human integrity and music research, and not only spirit but also intelligence.
- Provides integration and harmony between body and mind.
- Depending on the music type, you can activate different parts of your brain. Thus, music can re-activate some brain regions that have lost their function as a result of neurological disorders or emotional disorders.
- It is a well-known fact that music has a positive effect on physiological events such as blood pressure, respiratory rhythm, respiratory quality, pulse rate. Over time we can train the damaged parts of our brain with music.
- The ears function as a source when the brain is electrically charged. Decreased electrical energy in the brain cells causes distraction and fatigue. In this case, the brain must be charged like a computer. One of the ways in which brain cells are charged with energy is to perform music therapy.